Saturday, April 17, 2010

Are you a "Gleek" too? Media Meditation # 5


I first heard about Glee through my mom, she was constantly saying "have you watched Glee yet?" "Sierra, you would LOVE Glee!" And so on... So on a rainy day with nothing to do I flipped open my laptop and search Glee on Hulu Take a look at the trailer... you may be interested too. & trust me, it's not as corny as the preview makes it out to be. You may even become a "Gleek" (a name made-up for Glee fans) too.



Season 1:




Season 2:



My mom was right, I really enjoyed Glee, and now I tune in weekly. The songs they sing every Tuesday are catchy and I couldn't help but have a feel-good attitude every time I watched it. I am not alone either, Glee won a number of awards this year, including Peoples Choice Awards and Golden Globes.

Glee isn't just a fun show on t.v. but it's also educational when related to what we have learned in our media class.

Let's begin with our Eight Shifts. Glee fits into Epistemological Shift - Glee on our television screens. Also, Technological Shift - the ability to watch Glee on our T.V. screens, but also watch it on a variety of different websites on our computers. Glee also is part of the Personal Shift - I can post the Glee trailer on my Facebook, also Glee is now holding auditions on Myspace for season 2. All you have to do is upload your video introduction and song and you are entered! Glee also is part of the Aesthetic shift - We can watch Glee episodes and promos/trailers on our iTouch and SmartPhones. And lastly, Glee also fits into the Cultural Shift- As I said before we can watch promos and trailers on Myspace.

Now, let's move onto our Seven Principles....

Production techniques - The different camera angles, lighting: dark to bright it sets a tone to the scene, editing, sound effects, colors, font styles: credits, symbols - used in the promo/trailer and on the show.

Value Message - This sends a message to kids that they can fit in. I think it's a great show for anyone at any age but especially for kids in high school who may not fit in. Glee makes you feel like you do fit in somewhere. I think this show is very inspiring.

Ownership - These promos that are found online are paid for and owned by FOX, who broadcasts these videos.

Pacing - TV runs at 30 frames per second, and GLEE is a t.v. show. Our conscious mind can process approximately 8 frames per second.

Now let's move on to the persuasive techniques, my favorite part!

A persuasion technique used in Glee (promo's and the show) is Symbols - "Gleek" is a new term formed by the show. When people here it they associate it with the show.

Another persuasion technique used is Humor - The "war" between Will (Matthew Morrison) vs. Sue (Jane Lynch) is hilarious and sarcastic. Sue's attitude in general is hilarious.

Other persuasion techniques used in Glee include, Nostalgia - I don't know about you but every time I watch Glee I think back to the voice lessons I took years ago and the plays I was in when I was younger. Warm Fuzzies - There is just something about people running, jumping, "frolicking" - if you will and singing just brings me a warm feeling (ha ha really! not joking) Beautiful people is also a technique used. The actors and actresses are beautiful and glamorous. Group Dynamics in another technique that is used in the promo - "for everyone," "come on girls," "everyone wants to be somebody," and so on... Name calling is also a technique used, Sue is constantly calling the Glee club kids and Will names and breaking them down at every moment. & finally, Timing is used - the Glee club tends to break out into song during any emotional scene, whether it is sad, happy, or angry.

All that singing and dancing gets my Limbic Brain awake and working. We also watch a lot of "sex" - PG of course and fighting scenes that get my Reptilian working. Also the 30 frames per second that we process and thinking about what is happening on the show and what the next episode will bring gets my Neocortex working. Glee is fun and educational! Who knew?

You can check Glee out on the FOX and Myspace website. Know anyone interested in auditioning for Glee? Then click here!

I hope you enjoyed my blog post just as much as I enjoy Glee. & check the show out!

No comments:

Post a Comment